We had our friend Ikeena of Keena's kitchen write about simple, healthful eating going into 2016.
With the new year comes resolutions. We think about new beginnings and new ways of doing things. We introduce new regimens and routines into our daily practices; and we promise we're going to do better this year than the last. I myself will be embarking on the adventure of a cleanse this month, though nothing too rigorous. That said, it can be challenging to implement these changes and harder still to keep them going year round.
Here are 6 gradual changes that have helped me to become less fatigued, more balanced and as a result live a healthier lifestyle:
- Eating "real" organic and seasonal foods whenever possible.
- Eating 20% more heirloom produce.
- Eliminating highly processed foods with added sugar and sodium.
- Purchasing or crafting my own artisanal condiments, spice blends and beverages.
- Choosing vegetarian and vegan options when the opportunity is presented.
- Cooking more and dining out less.
Now, now, I'm not saying that you have to tackle all of these at once--remember "gradual change". What I am saying is that you can devote 2 months out of the year to each of these goals. That way you ease your body into the change and you give yourself time to notice what works and what doesn't. Oh, and always consult your physician and tell a friend or family member when making changes like this so if monitoring is needed, you have support.
Unsure where to start? Well you can start by picking up some literature or reading up on a given goal in the first week of trying it out. That way you have a little guidance. Join a couple of mailing lists around your goals so you get gentle reminders that include new ideas and ways to bring ease to your practices. Our mailing list is pretty good. You can also check our blog for resources and recipes!
Speaking of recipes...what kind of chef would I be if I left you without one, after giving all these tips? Try one of my signature creamy soups to start the year off with a light, simple and warming treat during all of this Bay Area rain. Good luck in your quest to live a healthy, happy existence with minimal impact to your communities and the planet!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Prep. time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 large cauliflower, cored, trimmed, sectioned and simmered softly in a cup of your favorite vegetable broth
- 1 leek, cleaned, greens removed & chopped
- 1/2 cup reserved vegetable broth from simmering
- 2 tablespoons butter
- kosher salt & white pepper to taste
- Place raw cauliflower in a 2 quart pot with 1 cup of broth and chopped leeks. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain and separate the cauliflower from the liquid.
- Puree the cauliflower in a sturdy blender or food processor with butter and cream. Add reserved broth as needed to adjust to desired thickness. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and white truffle oil.
Enjoy this post? Sign up for our Mailing List!